Knox United Church in 1904
This church served the Presbyterian congregation of Vars until the Presbyterian Church merged with the Methodists to form the United Church of Canada in 1925. The United Church of Canada is the largest Protestant Christian denomination in Canada, and the largest Canadian Christian denomination after the Roman Catholic Church. Sunday services were well attended as the church was an important meeting place for local people, especially farmers for whom it provided one of the few opportunities to socialize with their neighbours. During the Great Depression, organized religion and churches helped people cope with both economic and emotional hardships.
The balloon-frame, shiplap-clad building has all the architectural features of a Gothic Revival church as adapted to a more rural architectural style. It has a steeply gabled and painted arch opening above the windows and doors. The main entrance is crowned by a bell tower capped by a sliver finial and double brackets.
The church, complete with interior furnishings and stained glass windows, was reconsecrated and relocated to the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 1977. Although the rear addition, which served as the Sunday school, was not rebuilt, a replica of the original drive shed houses the Tanner collection of hearses and a funeral coach. The church is still used for weddings and other community events.